April 11, 2011

Monday Madness!

I don't have a lot to say today!  I didn't do my IWIWT-Friday post, and instead of doing it right now, I'll wait until this Friday and have an AWESOME one (hopefully).

Not much is really new, I started a new term for school which means I am super busy... again!  One of my assignments is to grade 143 AP Literature papers by the end of the month.  Our teacher calculated it and if we spent ten minutes on each paper, it will take us 24 hours.  I told him not to calculate it because that would depress me, but he didn't listen.  So now I have 142 (we did one in class together) to grade which should be eye opening, oh well, that's the price of wanting to be an English teacher.

Other than that, I'm trying to set weekly goals for making things.  Two items per week that I can put in my etsy shop.  And I'm waiting until I have about ten items made before posting them.  That way, I can post a new item a day for about a week (if I start by posting three or four items).  And the items I am going to be offering (to begin with) are: my fold over clutches, small-zipped pouches, zipper jewelry, and mixed media canvases (small to begin with).  So this week I think I am going to make two small zipped pouches and two canvases.  I know, I know, I said I was going to do two items per week, but I'm a little behind, so I'll catch up this week.  I most likely will do them this weekend when the hubs is out of town!

I'm very excited though, to get my shop up and running. I think this is going to be more of a hobby than anything else, but we'll see where it goes.  I've been finding that pricing things is a little difficult because the finishing on my sewed items isn't the greatest, and that's only because my sewing machine is so old that the stitching underneath is all wonky, so I try not to make things that don't require you to see the stitching at all.  To better explain the problem... so you know on sewing machines you can usually sew at 4 different lengths (well on my old one you can) and the highest stitch means that it is the longest, well, my sewing machine won't even move if it's on the lowest stitch (which is a one or zero on my machine, really can't recall), so I have to keep it at a four, but even then the stitching is very tiny and does not stitch very straight or even (the size of each stitch kind of varies between small and very small and they're all a little wonky).  Well, I'm guessing this is due to my machine being ancient. 

I plan on buying a new one, once I have the money (but I also want a nice camera as well).  I'll be quitting my job soon, so that I can student teach in the fall, which means money will be tight, but it's already tight as is, so essentially I will be using this machine until I win the lottery or die... or until there's a holiday where my hubs can buy one for me (please!).  So I will have to make do with what I have and because of that I'm not going to price my items too much.  By the way, it's not that the items are crappily made, that's not it at all.  It's just that I don't think it looks as pretty as it could be.  But that's just in the teeny tiny details of a product.  Overall they are very nice!

Well, I am really not the best person to market my items since now all of my millions of readers think my items are shottily made... I should hire someone to be my cheerleader, instead of me!

In other news, my husband and I discovered how wonderful a dog park is when you have two very rambunctious pups!  It's like puppy xanax, and for that I thank the universe!

P.S.  Sorry for no pictures, my sister has her fancy camera and our digital camera is kind of turrible (misspelling intentional).  In other news, I have a fun TU-TO-RU to bring you later this week!  I'll give you a sneak peek (in words only) it involves yarn and glue and vaseline... maybe that sounds just a little too weird...

Happy day to you!

No comments: