January 20, 2010

Aaaaand we're off!

I don't really know where we're off to, but it sounded like a good title so I went with it. I haven't blogged in awhile...for shame, for shame, but that's me. I'm not very good at keeping up with this type of stuff.

Plus, I have two other blogs to keep up with (yep, TWO). I have to start a new one for a class and it has to be engaging for young adults. I'm getting nervous about having this many blogs. It makes me feel too exposed in the world of cyberspace, but we'll manage.

As for wedding stuff. I do have a few more details to add. Things are really coming together. Zach and I have figured out the officiant business. I originally wanted to go with a neutral person (not anyone from either of our churches) however it was really important to Zach's family that we go with his pastor. So I agreed, she's really nice and I like her. My only qualms with it are the "religiousness" level that it will be. I'm not a religious person, I would say more spiritual, and-full disclosure here-I have an issue with the Christian tradition (or just about any organized religion) because I feel that a lot of organized religions are exclusive rather than inclusive. Now I'm not one of those anti-religion people, I'm not an atheist, and I do know what I'm talking about. I'm not just making assumptions on what I have seen. I've actually studied religion a lot as it was part of my undergraduate studies. I took an entire class devoted to Jesus and I read the New Testament in the language it was originally written in (Greek--very unlike the King James "translation" if it can even be called a translation). I've also taken courses on religion pre and post-Christianity. So I know quite a lot about how it was formed and the belief systems it brought over from paganism. (No, I am not getting all of my info from The DaVinci Code).

Anyways, I digress (it's hereditary if you've ever met my father), so we chose his officiant and like I said my only concerns are with the level of "God, Jesus, Lord" and all that hoopla. I don't want to make it extremely religious specific, and seeing as I acquiesced to his pastor, I feel that a fair compromise would be to limit some of that religiousness. Now, obviously she's a pastor, so she's going to say some stuff, which is fine, but I would like to omit any saying such as "God bless us...." in our vows at the very least. And I would prefer not to have the Lord's Prayer because I would feel like I'm in a church service (Zach and I are still "discussing" this point so...we'll see). I guess I'm trying to say that I've never "felt" right in a church. It's always felt like going through the motions and I've never really been struck by that.

Overall, I want the ceremony to be about US, not God and us, not Jesus and us, but just Zach and I. And though some may see it that "God" brought us together, I see it as Zach and I becoming an entity through our love for each other. We can still be blessed in our marriage, and we can ask that life grants us the blessing of a long life together.

Understandably, Zach could want a very religious wedding, Lord's Prayer and all. And I am aware of that and that is where the whole "compromise" thing comes into place, and so far I think we've done a good job on compromising.

Anywho, I think that's it for now. I know, not too funny, not really much to say, I kind of turned this post into my viewpoints on religion, so yup, there you are for the day!

No comments: