March 14, 2011

No Pictures, Just Words

Good morning!  Daylight savings is kicking me in the behind today... I just want to sleep in because it was still soooo dark when my alarm went off today.  I suppose I can deal if it stays light out longer.  The things we do...

Anywho, it's spring break here at the University of Minnesota, which means everybody but the poor saps who sit in the main offices (aka ME) get the week off.  I get bubkis.  Well, that's not true, I get Friday off, which is pretty awesome, but I will be spending it getting my drivers license with my new name (did you know that you have to take a written test in order to get a Minnesota driver's license... oh boy.)

Not really much going on.  I wish I were more interesting lately.  School is really bogging me down right now... ugh.  Hopefully, sometime after this craziness is over I can focus more on crafting and painting and such... hopefully.  (When exactly will this craziness be over with?  That is a question I have no answer for unfortunately.)

In other news, my sister took me to Joann's this weekend for my birthday present.  I pretty much bought the store out of fabric, and now I have a beautiful pile of bright and happy fabric just waiting for me to turn it into something!  I actually started making a school bag for myself because I am tired of carrying my purse plus a bag for my books, notebooks, folders plus a computer bag.  I had had enough!  I look like a crazy bag lady and they were all so darn heavy.

So now I will be making a fun (and large) school bag.  I hope I can finish it by class this Saturday, which reminds me, I have so much homework to do this week!

Anyone know any good articles about gendered linguistics, specifically about language that objectifies women and the role it plays in maintaining a patriarchal and misogynistic society?  Anyone... anyone?

No comments: