March 15, 2011

Puppies and Babies... is there a difference?

Since I named my blog after my monster/rat (the single entity that is my two dogs) I figured I should write about them every once in awhile!

the monster/rat


Well, the longer we have had Wrigley (a little over a month now) the more and more I realize what it's going to be like when we have a kid.  Not that I think having a puppy is at all like a child, but I'm thinking more along the lines of how Zach and I will act when it comes to having kids.

Here's an example of a typical evening at our house:

Scene:  Kristi is in the kitchen, at the stove, cooking up some delicious eats for that evening's dinner.  Zach is in the living room (banished there by the evil chef Kristi because he just gets in the way and does not do things according to her standards; basically he's a nuisance) watching some sort of  sports broadcast talking about bracket this and bracket that and jump shots and field goals and pinch-hitters, yadda yadda ya.  The pups are rough housing, which involves Wrigley attacking Chico every time he comes near her bone, but then walking away when he walks away from it, but then immediately running back at him when he goes near it again.  This continues over and over and over and...

ZACH
Wrigley!  No! No! NO!  Ewwwwwwww!

KRISTI
*Sigh* Who threw up?

ZACH
Wrigley did!  Luckily I caught her before she got on the carpet and she threw up on the hardwood floor.

KRISTI
*Sigh*  Do you need me to clean it up?

ZACH
Well I'm holding her right now so she doesn't get at it, so yeah, can you come clean it up?

KRISTI
Suuuuuuure.

Scene:  Kristi is cleaning up vomit because Zach's job of holding the dog back is waaaaaaaaaaaay more important than picking up the icky, smelly dog throw-up.  This is nothing new to Kristi, she's a pro at picking up any and all sorts of dog messes.  Zach continues to make choking, hacking, vomit noises.  Chico and Wrigley go back to playing.

KRISTI
Okay, well I'm going to go finish dinner now.

ZACH
Do you want help?

EVIL CHEF KRISTI (a split-personality of the usually sweet and kind Kristi)
NO!  Keep your dirty hands away from my food!  You are not fit to fry a single item of food, let alone clean up dog vomit!  I banish you from these lands (aka the kitchen)!

ZACH
Okay evil chef Kristi, I was just trying to be helpful.  Yeesh!

KRISTI (unaware of the personality change)
What did you say, dear?

ZACH
Nothing, just go back to cooking.  Let me know when it's ready.

KRISTI
You know, sometimes I would like your help with the cooking.  Or at least cleaning up the vomit if it occurs when I am cooking.  It's not like I ask for much around here.

(They stare at each other for a moment, each thinking the other person is crazy.  But then their attention is distracted by Chico)

CHICO
*cough*hack*sputter*gag*cough*hackity*hackity*hack*sploooooooooooooosh*

KRISTI & ZACH (in unison)
Not again! 

ZACH
I'll get Chico.

KRISTI
I'll get the paper towel...

END SCENE
___________

picnikfile_FpnOUd
We throw up.  A lot.


So yeah.  That is what it is like with two dogs.  Lots of vomit (that Kristi cleans up) and lots of Zach yelling from the other room to have Kristi come clean up the vomit.

I suppose it's a trade-off since he is the Holy Killer of Bugs.

Marriage.  It's a give and take.
                               

No comments: